The first choice for a second chance!Units of Sound is a 'second chance' phonics based Reading and Spelling computer programme suitable for all ages.
Units of Sound is a proven tool for teaching students in schools, colleges and community centres who need support with their literacy. With a screening placement, student progress display and a screen tutor to show students how to use the programme correctly, Units of Sound enables all students to learn independently. The Best Practice Guide is available for download here..
Units of Sound (UofS) is designed to be used by any teacher or teaching assistant and contains all the information needed to start working with students. We know though, that some people like to have a more specific introduction to using a new IT program. Our UofS Practitioner’s Course steps you through the program with practical exercises and quizzes to test your progress. To get the best out of UofS as quickly as possible, we recommend this course for every UofS school.
Its sister programme Units of Sound: Literacy that fits is the home-version, which allows parents to help their children with their literacy.
Units of Sound on TVUnits of Sound is used in the Partnership for Literacy intervention and in the Get Britain Reading campaign.
Why use Units of Sound?
- Easy to use
- Independent work
- Computer based (Windows® only)
- Gets results!
- Individually tailored programmes - no preparation needed
- Suitable for groups
- Can be delivered by teachers or Teaching Assistants
- The Specialist Learning Tool for everyone
- Eligible for e-learning credits
- See Units of Sound for details
- No need to be a phonics expert
- No set time for lessons
- Only need to supervise - not teach
- Set-up lessons can be arranged
- See Literacy that fits for details